Re: GCC Steering committee's opinion on ObjC++

From: Aredridel
Subject: Re: GCC Steering committee's opinion on ObjC++
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:24:48 -0600

> It appears the reason is that while the SC recognizes that Apple have spent
> considerable time working on ObjC++, it is not something that the SC want to
> maintain. A broken ObjC++ will not be considered a critical bug preventing a
> new gcc release; if ObjC++ is broken by a checkin, it is not the committer's
> responsibility to fix it, it is Apple's; and so on.
>
> It seems to me that no amount of arguing will change that particular
> decision.

No -- time and experience will. If Objective C++ becomes a more widely
used language outside of Apple than it has, then it will probably be
supported by default.

I think it's a good place to start. If there are persistent gentle
persuasions when people break it, the attitude that it's unimportant
will change. It will just take time.