Re: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GNUStep namespace pollution in Debian?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:24:47 -0700

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

If we choose .app , we need something else for framework (at least).

*.framework , this is at least the way for framework naming on Mac OS X.

But since (at least how I understand it) the name in question is just the name in the packaging/port system and not the actual name of the installed binary I think gnustep-* is o.k.

That is not an acceptable naming convention because many GNUstep apps are not part of the gnustep project. Prefixing the package name of those apps with gnustep- leads one to believe (reasonably) that they are part of the GNUstep project when they are not. This is why, although I strongly dislike both because I think this is a complete non-issue that a couple of people have chosen to crusade over, .app is better for applications.