Re: GWorkspace as windowmanager?

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: Re: GWorkspace as windowmanager?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:59:44 -0400

On 2004-06-10 18:24:30 -0400 Charles Kerr <punt1959@msn.com> wrote:
I have been using Windowmaker, and like the feel.
Having both, the workspace seemed to overlap with WindowMaker.

I agree. I'm running GWorspace from recent CVS (and a new release recently came out anyway), and I was pleasantly surprised to find the main components broken up into different applicatons. Inspector, Operation, and GWorkspace work logically well together.

However, I'd like to see, or heck, maybe help change :-), Desktop.app broken up into Dock and Desktop. If the Dock portion can be made to really support the AppIcon and change like WM's icons do, that would be excellent, and remove the need for WM-dock. I had wanted Desktop.app to _be_ my main X session app, i.e. `openapp Desktop` as last line of .xinitrc, but it's new to me, so I don't trust it's stability 100% yet ... but it hasn't crashed on me yet, so I'm beginning to.

Here's my current .xinitrc:

xscreensaver -no-splash &
. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/gpbs
openapp Desktop  &
openapp Affiche &
openapp Terminal &
exec wmaker

... the only problem is that I have to quit Desktop, then quit wmaker. Can the desktop part of Desktop be optionally disabled? If the context menu of Desktop had more window manager like options in it, e.g, "Run", "Logout", that would be nice.

Actually ... is it feasible to have the icons draw right onto the root window? I ... *sigh* ... I run xscreensaver's on the root window, e.g. `/usr/lib/xscreensaver/flurry -root`, and would love the ability for Desktop to paint the root, but not create a "desktop window" that isn't the actual root .... and if it just has to be so, Alt-Drag shouldn't be able to move it!

Overall though, Enrico Sersale has done an awesome job, IMHO, with the direction of GWorkspace.

__Armando Di Cianno
armando@nycap.rr.com