Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:46:15 -1000

On Jun 5, 2004, at 2:16 PM, Michael Baehr wrote:

I personally think we're going in the right direction with the dock
(being an OS X fanboy and all) but it is, indeed, going to be extra
screen clutter until we have a dock that can _fully replace_ the
WindowMaker dock's functionality.  Right now, it doesn't seem to work
as an app switcher (I click on the application icons and I go to
Desktop.app, not to the app I intend to, forcing me to use the
WindowMaker dock still).  Also if it is restarted, it forgets which
apps have already been launched before that restart, making it not
very useful to maintain the current state of your workspace.

This is not the Dock's problem, but it is an artifact of the way GNUstep itself works. You see GNUStep does not keep track of which applications are actually running. Instead what happens is that as each application is started it sends out a message saying so. The Dock notices this message and at that time it knows the app has started. Naturally, any applications which are launched after another application will not receive the message that the other application has started.

If the Dock is the first thing to be run and it never crashes, it will work fine. But what happens when it DOES crash. Also, other apps may be interested in the same information, so the Dock shouldn't be relied upon as the authoritative source of this information.

Perhaps another daemon is needed to keep track of which apps are running, I think that this daemon would end up fulfilling the actual roles of each application's NSWorkspace object; NSWorkspace would then become a proxy for this daemon. Such a daemon would have to be very simple and straightforward to minimize bugs and crashing.

Comments?

Chad

As far as the desktop portion is concerned, it doesn't seem to
understand symlinks (in the recycler or on the desktop itself).  I
would love, for example, to have an icon for my home directory there
but that does not appear to work at the moment.

I am, in any case, looking forward to Desktop.app being more fully
fleshed out and usable.  Right now it is mostly eye-candy (not that
that's bad either, mind you :D )

If you stick to splitting GWorkspace up into more modules in the future, may I suggest a Recycler.app to go along with the others? Alternatively, an option to chose whether the Recycler should be in the dock or on the desktop (as before, so to speak) might be dandy, too. And the dock needs
to be disableable for those who don't like docks to begin with.

I agree with this.