Re: [RFC] Remove gui/PrinterTypes directory containing PPDs from core

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [RFC] Remove gui/PrinterTypes directory containing PPDs from core
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:51:45 +0200

Alex Perez wrote:
I know I'm not the first one to have this idea, but I do believe I'm the first one to act upon it in the recent past. After doing a quick analysis of the size of things in gui, the thing that stuck out like a sore thumb in the gui directory was PrinterTypes, which is essentially just a big huge directory structure full of PostScript Printer Defition files (PPD's). The PPD's in English.lproj are 6.9 MEGABYTES, while all of -gui is 17MB, making the PrinterDocs folder account for nearly 41% of the entire size of -gui. I personally found this huge size amazing and unjustifiable.

The percentage of people who do a CVS checkout and use the resulting PPDs to print is probably near zero. Most distributions also come with their own PPDs, which we (meaning packagers) should look into ways of utilizing for the sake of transparency.

I propose one of the following:

(A) Move only the PPDs to a separate CVS module, outside of core.
(B) Move the entire PrinterTypes folder into a separate CVS module, PrinterTypes (or something similar)

Comments?

I fully agree with you. The only file needed in the PrinterTypes directory is GSProlog.ps and we could easly find a new home for it. My vote goes for B.

Fred