Re: State of gnustep under panther?

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: State of gnustep under panther?
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 02:50:18 +0100

What issues? I use Apple compilers to build Swarm code on Panther using the GNU runtime.

I have issues with forwarding of Objective-C messages, but these are just the same with the FSF compiler. They are caused by problems with the gcc builtin functions on all RISC processors. Indeed the relevant sections of the gcc code are identical in both Apple and FSF versions. (The Apple runtime forwards properly because it uses quite different code.)

As far as I can see, the remarks in the README about memory problems only apply to Darwin/x86.

Hm... well, I could perhaps be wrong then. I installed GNUstep on OSX a few months ago and I don't remember if I had tried to use panther gcc or not -- perhaps I directly installed the fsf gcc... I'll try to do a compilation on panther tomorrow. If that works without needing the fsf gcc, that would be quite nice, indeed.

Well, I tried to build gnustep using the last available (for me) gcc from developer.apple.com (Dec 2003 gccLongBranch Tools, as I'm not able to download XCode 1.2 ...)

and it didn't work :-/
I'm not able to build libffi in fact, taking libffi from the PyObjc project -- from their latest release -- it doesn't compile.

Any ideas ? I think that if you're able to run Swarm with the GNU runtime with the standard gcc from apple, there is no reason we can't also build GNUstep ... :-/

--
Nicolas Roard