Mailing list for GNUstep packagers?

From: Michael Baehr
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:42:52 -0500

I was speaking to Alex Perez on IRC and found out that he is beginning
the process of creating GNUstep RPMs for Fedora Linux.  I also heard
on the grapevine that a few people are interested in updating Gentoo's
out-of-date GNUstep ebuilds.  I myself package a large GNUstep
repository (almost 60 packages) for Arch Linux.  Coupled with Gürkan's
work maintaining Debian's GNUstep packages, we now have several people
working on rolling out GNUstep on various distributions.

Alex suggested to me the other day that we create a mailing list for
GNUstep packagers.  I think this would be an excellent idea.  One of
the things I have found with GNUstep is that it is exceedingly hard to
package; it seems that many developers (including core developers)
have the expectation that you will be maintaining your GNUstep
installation yourself and installing directly from the latest tarballs
or CVS checkout.  Thus, to package it requires many caveats and little
hacks and tricks, and there's no reason for people to repeat each
others' work independently if we can all get together and help each
other out.

Therefore I think a GNUstep packaging mailing list should be created
as soon as possible.  As far as I know, Alex has already been in
discussion with Adam about this but I have not heard of any results so
far.

Your input would be appreciated.

- Mike (tehdely)