Re: Programmatically converting PNG to TIFF

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Programmatically converting PNG to TIFF
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:50:24 +0200

Hi all

Andreas Hoeschler wrote:
Usually NSImage should be able to read PNG. I found a hint on the net that WindowMaker (libwrster) should be installed before configuring GNUstep to make it PNG aware. I tried that with no success. NSImage ist still not able to read PNG data.

Since the great change of Alexander and Adam in January GNUstep no longer relies on on libwraster to load PNG (or other graphics formats). If you have a recent installation of GNUstep, it should be able to read PNG files as soon as libpng is installed and found during the configure process. If this does not work for you, you should recheck the configure log to see if something did go wrong at that stage. Otherwise it may be with the data itself. I only tested this functionality with PNG files, but it should work as well with data in PNG data. If your data wont work you could send on a (small) example file for tests.

Thanks a lot for this hint. This is good news. I was otherwise successfully using

gnustep-base-1.8.0
gnustep-gui-0.9.0

on Solaris 8 and Solaris 9. I tried

gnustep-base-1.9.1
gnustep-gui-0.9.2

a few weeks ago, but whatever application I started (of my own stuff), I always got

Illegal Instruction (core dumped)

Therefore I did stick to the older versions. However, I reinstalled

gnustep-base-1.9.1
gnustep-gui-0.9.2

now to confirm your proposal and indeed, the image can be read from the PNG data now. So good so far. But I have my

Illegal Instruction (core dumped)

problem again. Is there any known issue with these newer versions on Solaris? Where do I best start to track this down?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

  Andreas