Re: NSImage and PNG

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSImage and PNG
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 22:30:43 +0200

Andreas Hoeschler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On MacOSX creating an image with PNG data is no problem.
>
>              NSImage *tileImage = [[NSImage alloc]
> initWithData:tileImageData];
>
> On GNUstep I get
>
>         [8265] Tiff Error (GSTiffReadData) Not a TIFF file, bad magic number
> 35152 (0x8950)
>
> Should this work?

-gui used to use libwraster to load images, and while it did, it could
only handle tiff images when loading from memory. This was fixed
2004-01-08. In recent versions, it should work.

> May be I have done something wrong while building
> GNustep (no PNG support?).

That's possible, but you shouldn't be able to do that by accident. If
-gui's ./configure can't find libpng, it'll fail unless you explicitly
override it. If you have a recent version of -gui, search for "png" in
config.log to see if/why the test failed.

- Alexander Malmberg