The Future of RIGS: Maintainer or Merger needed

From: Alex Perez
Subject: The Future of RIGS: Maintainer or Merger needed
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:21:36 -0700

Below is the response I got from Laurent Julliard in regards to my inquiry about the status of RIGS, the Ruby Interface to GNUStep, which has not had any work done on it since October 2001. There is now a RubyCocoa project which *IS* in active development, and if anyone here programs in Ruby, I encourage you to look into the possibility of merging the two projects (which, more practically, would probably mean taking runtime-specific code from RIGS and adding it to RubyCocoa in an appropriately-ifdef'ed manner.

Thanks for taking care of this. I am indeed still active in the Ruby community (working on the FreeRIDE project among other things - http://freeride.rubyforge.org) but I'm no longer active in the GNUStep community.

I haven't touched RIGS since the end of 2001 as you said. I looked briefly at Rubycocoa and it sounds like it only works on MacOS X Cocoa and not GNUstep fo reasons that were debated in a thread of discussion that you can read at http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/30782?30743-32576. The basic idea is that there should be an abstraction layer to accomodate the differences in the runtime of GNUstep and MacOS X.

And yes I absolutely agree on the principle of somebdoy taking over the RIGS project.
Hope this helps.

Laurent