Re: Suggestions for deploying an application ?

From: gerold
Subject: Re: Suggestions for deploying an application ?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 23:20:35 +0200

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 17:01, Pete French wrote:
> > view). I currently run an X Windows three tier risk management system
> > (real time) this way at work and it works fine. Things to consider are
> > the
>
> Can you recommend a good X server to run on the PC ? Was using the cygwin
> one, which does work but doesnt co-operate very well wiuth GNustep... the
> menus especially end up with full windows, and any time you close a window
> it moves the entire app into the background which is really damn annoying!
>
> -bat.

Note the applications I am running are written for Xlib.

I have been working with two commercial XServers. The first was SCO's XVision
(sold off to a company that is now called Tarantella
http://www.tarantella.com/products/vision/ )

I worked with an earlier version provided by Reuters and I must say it had
some nice features for screen captures, caching, copy & paste between Unix
and Windows.

The other XServer (currently in use ) is by Hummingbird and is called the
Exceed family http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/exceed/index.html?cks=y.
I rate it as good, but I must say the XVision seemed slightly more user
friendly to configure. Your mileage might vary. There is now a newer version
on their website. Perhaps some other persons could comment...

I would be interested from those having managed to get GNUSTEP up and running
on Windows if they could chip in.

You will also want to consider running either NFS or Samba to integrate the
directories and files from the UNIX box with your Windows clients.

For ease of use and security I suggest you configure the Xserver passively
with SSH X11 tunnelling (http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/software/exceed/
sshexceed.html )