Re: Suggestions for deploying an application ?

From: gerold
Subject: Re: Suggestions for deploying an application ?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 20:22:46 +0200

On Monday 24 May 2004 16:57, Pete French wrote:
> Just as a matter for discussion - what do people think is the best way
> to deploy a GNUstep application to Windows users ?
>
> So far I have come up with three options:
>
> 1) Try and compile and run the application using the Windows backend for
>    GNUstep. This is my least favourite as (to date) I have never managed to
>    get a working GNustep installation on Windows.

This may give you the highest level of performance (and maintenance) for the
time being.

> 2) Run an X11 server on the Windows machines, and host all the applications
>    on a Unix server using remote display to the Windows clients. This was
>    my intended solution until earlier today.

In principle this can work very well (particularly from a maintenance point of
view). I currently run an X Windows three tier risk management system (real
time) this way at work and it works fine. Things to consider are the
networking cards - make sure you are running at 100MBits / sec, full duplex
if you have alot of network traffic. Caching can help too (X server
configuration).
One X Windows server handles on average 15 simultaneous users without any
problems (1 Sparc cpu, Solaris 8, 1 GB ram, rarely greater than 15% cpu
capacity, average around 3-5%). One CD update only required, no running
around to different PCs in different buildings - your mileage might vary.
The bottleneck will probably be the database or persistant storage you will be
using (you did not specify)
> 3) Install Cygwin/X11 onto the Windows machines and compile up a complete
>    GNUstep installation on each of them to run the application locally.
>    I have only just though of this, and it looks quite appealing....

Very similar to option one I suppose.