Re: GSWeb crash upon startup [Was: Re: Eeeagh! I'm at my wits end.]

From: Simon Stapleton
Subject: Re: GSWeb crash upon startup [Was: Re: Eeeagh! I'm at my wits end.]
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:12:07 +0200

On 27 Apr 2004, at 20:41, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Most likely there is some system specific bug ... quite possibly nothing to do with your code. If the variables are being cleared between the end of the +initialize and the start of +processInfo you *really* need to single step through to find where it's going wrong. Perhaps another thread could be clearing the ivars the moment the lock in the runtime library which protects the +initialize is released. However ... there is no code which *should* ever clear the variables afaik.

OK, so I managed to get it running, but I still don't see how. Debug builds still crash (of course), so I can't debug, but I think I'm getting there.

What I did was this.

In NSProcessInfo.m, function _gnu_process_arguments(), I got rid of the IF_NO_GC macros. They shouldn't have been doing anything anyway. And miraculously, it started working.

What this seems to imply (to me, at least) is that for some reason base thinks I want GC. GC may not be installed, but I think it thinks it is, for some bizarre reason. To further bear this out, here's some of the output of gsweb/Testing/DynamicElements when run and accessed through a browser (I hadn't bothered to actually access this before, as it started OK), which is dumping log messages that look distinctly GC-ish

session 0x10183c10 _releaseAutoreleasePool START
session 0x10183c10 _releaseAutoreleasePool START
session 0x10183c10 _releaseAutoreleasePool after garbage
session 0x10183c10 _releaseAutoreleasePool after garbagesession 0x10183c10 _releaseAutoreleasePool STOP
session 0x10183c10 _releaseAutoreleasePool STOP
Response Sent
Response Sent
threadWillExit START
threadWillExit START
GC** GarbageCollector collectGarbages START
GC** GarbageCollector collectGarbages STOP
threadWillExit STOP
threadWillExit STOP

This still doesn't explain why _my_ app wouldn't start, but DynamicElements and Hello would. Or, for that matter, eogenerator, defaults, all the other apps I've been using. If the root cause was (or is) GC being on but not working, _everything_ should fail at startup, no? Or maybe it's just plain (bad) luck.

Heck, I don't know. I'm really losing the plot here. This is my third day of beating my head against this, and I can't see the wood for the trees any more.

As I have the app working for the moment with the non-debug version, I think I'm just going to get on with developing my actual code, and let this drop for a bit.

Simon
--
PGP Key Id : 0x50D0698D