Re: [ANN] MyWiki 0.8

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: [ANN] MyWiki 0.8
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:03:05 -0500

From: Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net>
To: Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:02:23 +0200

Hi,

Are there any plans to use that nice plain Wiki syntax instead of XML? I think, it is also the simple syntax that is making Wiki elegant. Or better: because we have geat text system ... no formatting syntax at all, just use plain RTF without user requiiring all those tags. Tags are not needed at all - only decent 'link' creation. Perhaps just "[this is link]" string parsing.

What do you think?

Hi,

 That would be the plan for next major release.
 The use of tags is for portability,
 and RTF format is not easiler to parse than XML from my point of view.
 So the bottom line is that the file will still save as XML.
But people should be able to make links the same way they mark text with bold font.
 Since the saved file is in XML format,
 the application is not required to extract the information.
 The application just makes it easy to do so.
 The most important thing for me is that I need to extract the information
 even when I have no access to GNUstep or Cocoa.
 I have some ideas about how to make links as formatting text,
 something like the email address in the Mail.app,
which is a text attachment but contain not only the text, but other attributes.
 It takes more time to implement and is not essentail for my current usage.

 Yen-Ju

Stefan
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi