Getting a numerical rep of every byte of a UTF-8 string?

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: Getting a numerical rep of every byte of a UTF-8 string?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:02:33 +0100

I've run into a really difficult issue which is one of the few things standing in the way of a new, improved Charmap release.

If I have char * utf8String = [singleCharNSString UTF8String], how can I get each byte of utf8String and display it as a hex number e.g. 0x53? If anyone could show me working code, I would be most grateful. Treating it as a normal C string doesn't seem to work. Once I see how it's done I should be able to adapt it to displaying UTF-8 as octal.

Christopher Culver