Re: Ocean and the search for a Music Framework

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: Ocean and the search for a Music Framework
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:32:31 +0100

On Mar 3, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

Marco Scheurer wrote:

On Mar 2, 2004, at 4:39 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

[snip]

That is not at issue. What *is* at issue is whether or not the
developers of the MusicKit have permission from the copyright holders
(namely NeXT/Apple) to relicense said code under any license at all.

I think I addressed this, and that it is clear enough: you have
permission if you obey to the MusicKit license. I don't understand how
the fact that some files are copyrighted by X rather than Y changes
anything.

If the MusicKit developers have no explicit permission to place the NeXT and Apple portions of the work under the MusicKit license, then the license on
the work as a whole is invalid.

Yes, but as we found out earlier that would be a license issue, not a copyright issue. There could perfectly be stuff copyrighted by NeXT or you in a package licensed by Stanford if it was contributed by NeXT or you.

But since some of the files in the distribution carry a different license agreement than the distribution as a whole, there is some ambiguity about how to treat them, and I agree that there is a problem.

marco