Re: getting started with gdl2

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: getting started with gdl2
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:14:24 +0100

Stéphane Corthésy wrote:
Hi,

On Feb 23, 2004, at 7:27 PM, David Ayers wrote:

[snip]

The problem I'm fighting now is a case sensitivity issue. It seems when creating a database/table via SQL "CREATE DATABBASE SomeName", it converts everything to lowercase, where when you create it with createdb it's case sensitive. When trying to connect it is also case sensitive. And I have similar issues with tables currently making entity names lowercase in describeModel... but if you know that everything is lowercase in your current schema and you're not yet worried about unconventional entity names, my current patch should be fine. Tell me if you're interested.

That's a "feature" of PostgreSQL: depending on whether you quote or not the table names (as well as columns, etc.), name will be case insensitive or not, IIRC.

Indeed, Matt also noticed that it works when they're quoted. I'll hope to fix this via sqlStringForSchemaObjectName: / useQuotedExternalNames & Co. throughout GDL2 and the adaptor code. (I'm also considering defaulting the Postgres adaptor too using the quoting /unless/ it is explicitly turned off via the EOAdaptorQuotesExternalNames default, in contrast to the documentation of the abstract class.)

Thanks,
David