Re: getting started with gdl2

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: getting started with gdl2
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:27:10 +0100

Scott Christley wrote:
Hello all,

I compiled and installed gdl2 from CVS for my Postgres database, everything seemed to go fine so now I want to try and actually use it. I noticed that there is an eoutil program which can test the connection, but I'm getting failures. Is this because eoutil is not correct?

[scottc@schristl-47 Tools]$ eoutil connect Postgres95 '{ databaseName = alexandria; hostName = localhost; userName = tperdue; }' 2004-02-22 11:38:22.864 eoutil[18085] could not connect to server: Connection refused
       Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
       TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

With a tip from Matt Rice I found:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/static/postmaster-start.html#CLIENT-CONNECTION-PROBLEMS

If you want you can currently find me on irc://irc.gnu.org/#GDL2 if you have other issues.

2004-02-22 11:38:22.865 eoutil[18085] Postgres95Channel.m:219 Assertion failed in Postgres95Channel(instance), method closeChannel. Channel not opened 2004-02-22 11:38:22.865 eoutil[18085] <NSException: 8127778> NAME:NSInternalInconsistencyException REASON:Postgres95Channel.m:219 Assertion failed in Postgres95Channel(instance), method closeChannel. Channel not opened

My database is up as I can use psql without problem.

My second question provided I get the connection thing worked out is that I already have a database with an existing schema, is there any tool that can produce an initial eomodel file from that schema?

Funny you're asking :-) I recently committed a contribution by Matt for Postgres95SQLExpression-describeModelWithTableNames: but I'm working on a revised version just now. I could send you a pre-patch as I'm not sure whether it will be ready to commit today already, but it works rather nicely and fixes a few niches.

The problem I'm fighting now is a case sensitivity issue. It seems when creating a database/table via SQL "CREATE DATABBASE SomeName", it converts everything to lowercase, where when you create it with createdb it's case sensitive. When trying to connect it is also case sensitive. And I have similar issues with tables currently making entity names lowercase in describeModel... but if you know that everything is lowercase in your current schema and you're not yet worried about unconventional entity names, my current patch should be fine. Tell me if you're interested.

Cheers,
David