Re: Application roles - first steps

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: Application roles - first steps
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:30:52 +0200

On 2004-02-22 18:26:04 +0200 Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:

On 2004-02-22 17:02:55 +0100 Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:
<snip>

Well, I'm thinking at this and the first problem encountered is that I need this feature in many places and, splitting GWorkspace in some apps, as I'm doing, in many applications.

So, the concept is that I need an external object that, given a path and a key representing the desidered information, returns the right representation.

To test this, I've written a little daemon with a method named "-nameForPath:". For the moment, -nameForPath: does nothing; it waste intentionally some time to simulate
its work and then returns the lastPathComponent of the path.

Just courious: why do you use a daemon for that, instead of a framework class?

I am just thinking that, if we add the concept of metadata, we can't actually
know where
and how it will be produced and stored. The daemon could be the object used by
metadata providers to store the data and by any other interested app to
retrieve it.

Is it possible to change -NSFileManager displayNameAtPath: to use kind of delegates or name-providers?

I'd not hope in somebody changing -base for this...

<snip>

What about -namesForPaths: (inspired by -valuesForKeys:(NSArray *) from key-value coding)? With this, you can eliminate lots of inter-process communication.

Sure. That was only a test.

<snip>