Re: "Books" to be ported to GNUstep

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: "Books" to be ported to GNUstep
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:33:53 +0100

Christopher Culver wrote:
Maybe you remember that last summer I was interested in doing a library management project. This got sidetracked, though I feel the lack of such a program everytime I look at my bookshelves. However, I've contacted the developer of Books (http://books.aetherial.net/) about porting his mature program to GNUstep. I've heard that he uses Panther things that GNUstep doesn't have yet (NSToolbar support, etc), but he plans on doing a Jaguar backport. He says he's really excited about the possibility of a GNUstep port.

I would really like having this app ported to GNUstep. It would be a great boost to GS, since *nix in general doesn't have anything like this. However, I'm very much a novice, Charmap the height of my skill. I'd be happy to learn more along the way, but I really hope that I can depend on other GNUsteppers to help out, especially people who have OS X experience and can tell Cocoa from Carbon.

I had a look at Books source code and all I did see was Cocoa. Although there is a lot more code, than I would like to read at the moment, I wont expect any Carbon in it. There is some CoreFoundation code, eg in the XMLReader and of course there are a lot of new classes that GNUstep is still missing. Not only from AppKit (eg NSSearchFieldCell), also Foundation classes as NSIndexedSet. They also use a huge (and I mean huge) NIB file, which will cause some pain to port it to GNUstep. But I just decided to make this the test application for my NIB loading project. Last night I already extended the binary property list loading code to handle this format and next week I will look into the few remaining problems. Still somebody is needed that implements all the missing classes.