Re: ANN: Gorm-0.6.0

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: ANN: Gorm-0.6.0
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:43:17 -0800 (PST)

Kazunobu,

--- Kazunobu Kuriyama <kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com> wrote:
> Gregory John Casamento wrote:
>
> > Just to verify. I just now checked IB on MOSX and it has the same
> > behaviour.
> > NSDocumentController itself is not instantiable on MOSX's IB. :)
>
> Really?  I can't argue it. Then, could you answer a few questions to
> help me?
>
> (1)  We could instantiate NSDocumentController with Gorm-0.5.0 or earlier.
>      Was this a sort of bug, or a forbidden operation?

It was a bug.

> (2)  Because Mac's Project Builder allows us to choose "Cocoa
> Documented-based
>      Application", I assumed that the class is automatically instantiated by
>      the tool or somewhere (so you don't need to instantiate the class
> with IB
>      explicitly). But our Project Center doesn't allow it (AFAIK).
> Then, how
>      can we create multi-document applications with the latest Gorm?
> For me,
>      the following doesn't look elegant:
>           @interface MyDocumentController : NSDocumentController
>           @end
>           @implementation MyDocumentController
>           @end
>       when I don't actually need a subclass.

When you specify "Cocoa-Document Based App" from the window, you will get a
class called MyDocument (which represents the specific behaviours of the
document for your app).   There is no NSDocumentController, and in the .nib the
NSDocumentController class not instantiable.

> I learned the way of creating a multi-document application through Yen-Ju
> Chen's tutorial.  If the behavior of the latest Gorm is really right, I'd
> like ask the current maintainer of the tutorial to update it in accordance
> with the change.

I believe he does need to be made aware.   So far as I know, from looking at
how IB on MOSX behaves, it appears to be a bug to be able to instantiate it by
itself, without a subclass.

> Thanks
> - Kazunobu Kuriyama

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Maintainer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) -------