Re: [Marketing GNUstep] booklet

From: Sascha Erni, -.rb
Subject: Re: [Marketing GNUstep] booklet
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:11:27 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

nicolas@roard.com wrote:
I did a GNUstep booklet presenting the project :
http://www.roard.com/gnustep/booklet-fosdem.html

Very nice indeed! Couple of suggestions regarding wording from me; but as it's early in the morning--only had one coffee yet--my suggestions aren't really printable.

Objective-C?
[...] Objective-C is easy to learn yet very powerful. Don't like Objective-C? GNUstep also provides Java, Guile and Ruby bindings.

(i.e. try to get rid of one "yet" in that part, focus on learning curve rather than simplicity.)

Cross Platform and Integration

[...] GNUstep is available for many different systems, including BSD, Linux, OS-X, and a Microsoft Windows alpha port.

(i.e. try to avoid MS Windows in brackets next to Unix--brackets are usually perceived as additional information pertaining to the parts of a sentence preceding it.)

Layout suggestions:

- Try to avoid spaces in front of "?", "!" and ":". I know it's common text formating for France (possibly Belgium as well), but in English, spaces in front of punctuation signs are only used in all-caps titles, if at all. Correct formating and spacing would be about half a space anyway, not a full blank, depending on kerning / layout.

- Reduce the font count, especially on the "What's GNUstep" / "Rapid Application Development" double page. Looks too busy, IMO.

Good work! Thanks a bunch!

93,
-Sascha.rb

P.S. short OT: You list the backbone project. I haven't heard from the guys for quite some time, no reactions from e-mailing them either--does anybody on the list have any information what's up with the project? -.rb

--
"Obey the suit!" - Lutwyche
www.dudagroup.com