Re: test driven development for GNUstep

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: test driven development for GNUstep
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:59:45 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:
> Just a check - is it going to get s complicated that we will wish we
> had used a preexisting test framework? Or are the things we want to do
> unique enough that it's worth it?

The complicated stuff will be the tests themselves, and the entire -gui
testing scheme (backend+stuff for defining event sequences and testing
rendering output). Those things are unique.

> Also, is it possible to separate the test framework from the tests so
> it can be used by other projects (gdl2, Gorm, etc)?

It's possible, but making things generic takes more work than making
something specific. :) My primary interest lies in creating a test suite
for core/, but once the architecture is in place, I could look at
extending it.

The framework is geared towards testing libraries, so GDL2 should be
easy to do, and unit tests for parts of apps are pretty straightforward.
Testing full apps would take a lot more work, although it is a logical
thing to use the testing backend for.

- Alexander Malmberg