Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Cocoa/Windows parallel dvlpmt
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:42:47 +0100

Am 04.02.2004 um 11:34 schrieb Florent Pillet:
I'd go farther than that.

Could you please repeat that and send a copy to P. C. D. Robert? I can't remember all the names, that already publically said, that they are interested in a Windows port of GS. But it needs to be more evolved. P.C.D. Robert seems to constantly censore such statements. Perhaps we have to make a mail bomb that it gets into his mail box?

A Windows port itself is not enough. What is needed is a way to somehow shrink-wrap an application with the GNUStep frameworks so that, in the end, the user just has to run an installer and doesn't need to know that GS is the running support for the app.

I do completely agree. And as I already said. somebody did something like that. It was mentionned in a posting.

I don't know how this can be done (or has been planned for) from an architectural point of view.

I don't think, this is vey difficult. The problem of GS is manpower. In order to get that manpower, GS has to be usefull for them. Unfortunately, the only use of GS most of the developer see, is as a porting means. But at the moment they still think that it takes too much effort (costs too much) to port with GNUstep to Windows. So GS don't gets those developers and P.C.D. Robert is frustrated about the progress of GS.

OTOH, if Apple would somehow revive the Yellow box I'd be happy too. I'd even be happy to pay for it, as long as it allows me to seamlessly port my apps...

I do agree again. But lets say it in the words of P.C.D. Robert: "...it would probably be a wasted effort. Unfortunately - for most Mac OS X developers - there is no or at least it seems that there is no such user base". He surely knows better than you.

Re
Phil