Re: GWorkspace future

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: GWorkspace future
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:52:50 +0100

discuss-gnustep-bounces+lars.sonchocky-helldorf=bbdo-interone.de@gnu.org
wrote on 03.02.2004 14:25:04:

> I would to split GWorkspace in some applications.

I like this idea very much, it enables the user to create a desktop
enivronment from components of her/his choice. (Btw. this is also good for
porting Gworkspace to Cocoa since some of the funtionality already
existing there does not need to be doubled (the Dock for instance).)

> Please, let me know what you think about this.
>
> - Desktop:
> The actual desktop window, the tabbed shelf and a trash.

The tabbed shelf is something with a dock licke funtionality or I am wrong
here? If so, I think the shelf/dock should be a component of it's own.

> Already having the shelfs of the viewers, the tabbed shelf and the
fiend, the desktop would represent a place in the file system (probably
> $GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT/.Desktop).

Agreed. But why should the Destop be invisible in browser windows (I asume
that's what you like to express with the leading period)? On Mac OS X the
Desktop is also visible in the browser window, this is good if you employ
the list view (like visible here:
http://www.splorp.com/junk/finder-list9.jpg) to sort the files by Name,
Date modified, size, filetype ... whatever column you click. I use this
regulary on Mac OS X to clean up my Desktop (which is also my downloads
folder) for instance to put all pdfs in one folder or to detect the worst
disk space eaters.

Btw. Gworkspace should also have a list view.

> - Inspector:
> A window containing something like the actual Contents Inspector.
Besides the usual content viewers (files contents and pasteboard data),
> Inspector should also accept bundles
> sent as NSData by applications, that is, an app will be able to add a
viewer for a type of data.

> - Finder:
> The Finder; but with many new features.
>
> - Viewers:
> The GWorkspace and the GWNet viewers in a single application + the fiend
and the recycler (on the fiend?)

> - Operation:
> The app that performs the file operations ans shows their progress.
>
> - fswatcher:
> A daemon that notify the registered applications when the contents of a
directory have changed. Actually, this feature is implemented in GWLib, in
> the FSWatcher class.
> (fswatcher is already on CVS and works much better than the old
solution)

greetings, Lars