Re: Does apple-apple-apple work?

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Does apple-apple-apple work?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:31:35 +0100

Hi Adam, David et all

Am 26.01.2004 um 22:00 schrieb Adam Fedor:
On Sunday, January 25, 2004, at 04:46 PM, Philip Mötteli wrote:
I try to compile GDL2 on MOSX. I only have installed the GNU-Makefiles with './configure --with-library-combo=apple-apple-apple' and I have sourced its environment variables. Now I make a './configure' in gdl2. Everything seems to go well. No special error message. But when I look at the created 'config.h' file, I see, that it's the same as 'config.h.in'. And really, when I try to compile gdl2, no definition, like e.g. NeXT_RUNTIME is set. Of course compilation fails. Does apple-apple-apple work? Where could I search for a possible misconfiguration, error or bug?

Actually, I advanced a lot! Thanks!

Actually, Philip is the one currently maintaining those packages :-) But due to the s/GSW/WO/g makefile hackery of GSWeb (which would have to be somehow mirrored in a PB package), he's trying the "conventional" route of building.

That's well said. Thanks David.

I haven't had time to really help him yet, except for a few pointers here and there.

That already helped a lot!

But if others are not seeing any issues regarding apple-apple-apple, I'll try to help him out this afternoon (european time :-) ).

Thanks for the offer! I will try to use it for the next issue, which is probably very easy: I can actually compile GDL2 now – until the linker stage:

Making all for library libgnustep-db2control...
 Linking library libgnustep-db2control ...
/usr/bin/libtool: can't locate file for: -l-lgnustep-base
/usr/bin/libtool: file: -l-lgnustep-base is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

I think, this is just a syntax error. Somehow, the makefile has this line in a weird way, such that there's no library name given for the first "-l", is it?

BTW:  Is this true?

        libgnustep-db2.so               == EOAccess
        libgnustep-db2control.so        == EOControl
        libgnustep-base.so              == Foundation + GNUstepBase-Additions

Thanks
Phil