Re: Gstreamer

From: Raffael Herzog
Subject: Re: Gstreamer
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:14:12 +0100

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:37:40 -0500, Jason Clouse <jhclouse@charter.net> wrote:

On 2004-01-19 17:31:29 -0500 Robert Warning <cleeker@gmx.net> wrote:
Would anyone be interested in objc/gnustep bindings to gstreamer?

Sure, why not? Hasn't somebody already started on something like this? I thought I had seen something about this before.

Yep, me! I've got it somewhat working, however, since it was my first piece of ObjC and therefore quite chaotic (and full of dead-locks), I recently decided to start over with it... :)

MoviePlayer.app is a movie player for GNUstep. It is split in three subprojects: MoviePlayer.app (the player itself), libMovieView (a library for easily accessing the movie playing functionallity from other programs) and XineX11.engine (a bundle containing a movie playing engine based on libxine and X11).

My new plans are very similiar. I called it "GNUstepMedia" for now.

- GPlayer.app: What MoviePlayer.app was before.
- GMCore: What libMovieView was before, i.e. a media playing library/framework. - GMBack: The backend protocols, maybe some utilities for implementing backends. Backend implementations are realised as bundles.
- GMBXineX11: The libxine and X11 based backend.
- GMUtils: Some utilities for creating players, contains mainly controls and maybe a palette for them - not specified yet. - GMPortability: Implementations of NSMovie and NSMovieView based on GMCore.

My plan was starting it all from scratch (except the use of libxine later probably also MPlayer G2), but using an already existing framework is of course also an option... I'll take a look at GStreamer (didn't know that it existed).

cu,
   Raffi

--
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference, but in practice, there is.

Raffael Herzog - herzog@raffael.ch - www.raffael.ch - ICQ #67961355