Re: PATCH: NSPathUtilities etc

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: PATCH: NSPathUtilities etc
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:04:42 +0800

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:58, Pete French wrote:
> > For unix systems, GNUstep now sources "/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf" at
> > startup
>
> Umm, can you clarify this please ? "GNUstep" isnt a program in its
> own right after all. Do you mean that every application sources this file
> on startup ? Other than that it looks good.

Yes, every application will source this file on startup because it's required
by gnustep-base.

> > * no more sourcing /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
>
> If you dont source this file then how will compiling code work ? The
> first line of these is include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make after
> all - or will we need to alter every makefile to include the
> /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf file at the top too ?

Compiling is a different situation. The makefiles all assume things set up in
the environment. This could be done by modifying GNUstep.sh to set the
variables via the .conf file instead of the current fixed values.

You'll still need to source GNUstep.sh in the same old fragile way for
compiling but you don't need it if you're just running applications.

One neat way to make it friendly would be to write a simple "stepmake" script
which checks if the environment is properly set-up first and then invokes
make. Then all users would need to do is 'stepmake' instead of 'make' and not
need to worry about the environment variables and set up at all.

> The idea in general is very nice though, good work.

Thank you.