Re: GModel decision

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GModel decision
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:48:11 -0800 (PST)

With due respect guys, you're both somewhat wrong. ;)

The problem with Apple's format is that it is a simple ordered archive which is
based on the internal implementation of initWithCoder: for each class, which
can change.  Also, we have no way of knowing what elements appear in what order
in the archive.

Even if we could follow the same encoding scheme, while it might be simple to
make one class match the order of the one on MOSX, it would be a monumental
effort to make them all match considering that the encoding is dependent upon
the internals of the class being encoded.

GJC

--- Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com> wrote:
> The problem i not so much with .nibs but the format they use to
> serialize, yes?  Has anyone asked them for the specs or tried to figure
> out the format (yikes).
>
> Chad
>
> On Jan 11, 2004, at 10:34 PM, thisguyisi wrote:
> >>
> > Out of curiosity, is there any interest, or has there been any effort
> > to get Apple to make a public specification of the .NIB file format?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > -Lee

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---