Re: Beta-test new site design, was: Status of the "new" GNUstep website?

From: Scott Stevenson
Subject: Re: Beta-test new site design, was: Status of the "new" GNUstep website?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:12:51 -0800

On Jan 10, 2004, at 10:23 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

The rest of the pages have been converted to the new site design and a few tweaks made. A beta-test copy of the site is available on http://towers.dynsite.net/

Thanks for putting this up!

Here are some things I found on this test site that aren't present on the "live" gnustep.org site:

(index.html)

1. Header image (gnustep-header15.jpg) is set to 560 width, actual image is 660 wide 2. Unless the browser window is set to a small size, there's a huge gap between the two columns in 'getting started' now that the table has been replaced with a list. This has also caused the left column to "touch" the edge of the browser window in some browsers. 3. The bullets are too far left in the news section (again, list vs table) 4. In both news and getting started, the bullets are supposed to be indented from the header text in order to "frame" the content. I think it makes the whole thing easier to read. I really think we should revert these two sections back to tables.

And this may be personal taste issue, but I think the 'current packages' section looks better on the main site. The huge size of the text doesn't seem as elegant.

(gnustep-main.css)

1. I see you've changed the font-size to points from pixels. Is this to get platform-relative sizes? With points, we now have text that looks good in Safari, but is too small in Firebird. Using pixels as font size units unifies the sizes, and users can still zoom the text as desired via the browser. But if we have to use relative scale, let's use ems or percentages for font-sizes in all definitions except in the body. That will provide true proportional scaling. Points is kind of the worst of both worlds. :)

2. I think there's a bit too much spacing between elements in the sidebar. Maybe take line-height down a bit more?

Thanks again,

   - Scott

--
Tree House Ideas