Re: XML idea

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:38:11 +0100

Helge Hess wrote:
> But on the other side the question is whether Apple extensions always
> belong into Foundation and not into Foundation-additions?

I don't think I understand what you mean here. gnustep-base-additions is
a semi-separate part of gnustep-base that can be compiled as a library
on top of Cocoa. It contains _GNUstep_ extensions, and is meant make it
easier to port from GNUstep to Cocoa (since it lets you port to
'Cocoa+GNUstep additions', so you can go on using many(/most?)
GNUstep-base extensions). Cocoa extensions never belong in
gnustep-base-additions, since there's no reason to provide Cocoa
extensions on top of Cocoa (they're already there :). In GNUstep,
-additions is just another part of the -base library.

> I think it is
> important that GNUstep makes a statement on this, so that I know what
> classes I can safely use between Cocoa, gstep-base and libFoundation.

If you mean 'Do Cocoa extensions always belong in GNUstep-base?', the
answer is no. The closest thing you'll get to an 'official' statement is
the mission page: http://www.gnustep.org/information/mission.html  (The
link seems to have been lost in the front page redesign.)

- Alexander Malmberg