Re: XML idea

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:32:45 +0100

On 07.01.2004, at 11:09, richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk wrote:
The extensions library is available for a looong time. Not sure why we need a new "PortabilityKit" library.

The problem with the extension library was that its copyright was not owned by the FSF, and I think FSF policy was that it should therefore not be distributed as part of GNUstep.

Of course. Did someone ever talk with Ovidiu (which probably holds the Copyright on most stuff) before rewriting everything? I'm pretty sure it would have not been an issue for him to assign copyright.
Sigh ...

For this reason, the base additions library was added to the base library, so extensions and portability issues could be addressed by code which (while clearly separated from the main base library source for clarity) would be available as part of the core distribution.

Which is an excellent decision - something like GSXML really does not belong into Foundation and was actually one of my major complains on gstep-base ;-).

But on the other side the question is whether Apple extensions always belong into Foundation and not into Foundation-additions? I think it is important that GNUstep makes a statement on this, so that I know what classes I can safely use between Cocoa, gstep-base and libFoundation.

Greets,
  Helge
--
I'm describing in a paragraph what took 14 hours to figure out. You may want to sniff glue for a while, then reread this when you get out of rehab. [aLa]