Re: NSTimeZone

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: NSTimeZone
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:57:01 +0100

Hello Sheldon,

Sheldon Gill wrote:

I have a minor patch for NSTimeZone. It fixes a trivial bug and adds some documentation. Who should I send it to?

Please send patches to: bug-gnustep@gnu.org

On the subject of documentation for NSTimeZone:

Why does it require the additional GMT+/- zone info files? Is this purely for compatibility with OPENSTEP?

There seems to be some question here about archiving/unarchiving time zone objects from old nibs.

I'm wondering if we can drop the requirement. That way, the zone info files GNUstep uses are the same as glibc and we can eliminate some redundancy on GNU/Linux and other glibc platforms.

I believe that the time zone information files are also on Solaris?

GNUstep is also used on MinGW... and as the comments in NSTimeZone.m states:

/* We use a implementation independent of the system, since POSIX
  functions for time zones are woefully inadequate for implementing
  NSTimeZone, and time zone names can be different from system to
  system.

Cheers,
David