Re: Pre-multiplied alpha

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Pre-multiplied alpha
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 02:44:30 +0100

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
[snip]
> It is true that I didn't do much testing with the art backend, but I feeled
> that the xlib worked faster, worked on 256 colors

back-art doesn't work at all with only 256 colors currently. It could be
fixed (by allocating colors for a small color cube and using that to
draw/blend), but it would look bad. I doubt that it'd be worth the
effort to get this working (the blitters are easy but the color
allocation and mapping is tricky).

OTOH, if you can live without color, 8-bit grayscale would probably look
pretty nice... :)

> and exported to another
> display quite well (only if the other display was truecolor).
>
> My attempts to export art display were unsuccesfull.

xlib's XShm functions are supposed to report failures when XShm can't be
used because the display isn't local, but for some reason, they don't
(always?) do that. I have no direct way of testing it here, but I'm
trying to figure out a better way of detecting this.

- Alexander Malmberg