Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 13, Issue 21

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 13, Issue 21
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:30:20 -0800 (PST)

To Calvin:

--- Calvin Mitchell <calvin674@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To Gregory:
>
> No...i beg to differ (and i hate begging).

Then, by all means, please don't. :)

> what we have here is a project meeting...a meeting
> being held on a mailing list.

When you've been as intimately involved in this project for around half a
decade (as I have) and seen so many flamewars erupt over philisophical or
technical differences, I suppose that you may become as cynical.

> While at first this would seem slow and meaningless...
>
> How much more effective would software projects be
> implemented if there was such meticulous documentation
> of the discussions that go on when they are being
> planned/implemented.

Discussion is of vital importance to any project, however, continually
rehashing the same ideas when someone new thinks they have a novel idea on how
to "change things for the better" is waste of time, no offense.   It's
especially a problem when it's been mentioned a thousand times before.

> I believe the opensource paradigm is SIGNIFICANTLY
> SUPERIOR to what a lot of commercial shops (i.e.,
> Microsoft) are getting away with.

I can't argue here, since I agree with this.

> Don't despair...so much has been accomplished already.
> These discussions are both EFFECTIVE and RELEVANT.

While the discussion may be "effective" and "relevant" to you, it means little
to me since it's been discussed before with respect to making GNUstep look more
like KDE or GNOME, but the same concepts apply.  As an aside, I personally,
find KDE and GNOME to be butt-ugly. :)

> They're just a little more challenging because so many
> people are involved.

Yes... yes...  whatever.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---