Re: MiscKit

From: Don Yacktman
Subject: Re: MiscKit
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:56:47 -0700

On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 02:06  PM, Calvin Mitchell wrote:
i was just reviewing the skinny on the MiscKit:

http://www.misckit.com/

it's meant to run on NeXTSTEP in /LocalDeveloper...

The license SEEMS to be cool...would there be an issue
with anyone if a port to GNUstep were attempted?

I doubt there would be a problem at all as long as the original attributions, licensing terms, and copyrights are left intact.

I *am* working on a MiscKit for Cocoa, and that kit will have a new license that is even more open -- basically it will be a lot like the BSD license. That new kit will contain old code from the previous two kits, but I'll not be bringing forward any old code that is obsoleted by new features in Cocoa. (Kit 1 is targeted to NEXTSTEP and Kit 2 is targeted to OPENSTEP. Kit 3, which I'm messing with now, will target both Cocoa and, eventually, GNUstep.)

When Kit 3 will make an appearance is anybody's guess. I've been totally swamped lately. The plan is to set up some infrastructure that allows others to help me maintain and support it so that from then on, I will no longer be a bottleneck to the process. So once I get to that first release point, hopefully it will be able to take on a life of its own even if I get busy again.

--
Later,

Don Yacktman
don@illumineX.com