Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 09:40:14 -0500

Pete French wrote:

> > OPENSTEP Enterprise for Windows NT also looked like OPENSTEP for Mach,
> > except for a few things:
>
> Sorry, but this simply isnt true. I just dragged it out and installed it
> as I didnt remember it that way. Under XP the windows are (obviously) XP
> style. But all the controls are NT 4 style - tick boxes, sliders, etc...
> none of them look like the OpenStep for Mach equivalents. Just opening
> Interface Builder and playing with the pallettes is enough to
> demonstrate this.

Of course the windows are colored similarly -- named colors are read from
the registry.

> If anyone knows how to make screenshots under Windows and canm tell me
> the I can happily supply images if people want to look at them.
>
> > As far as I know, this list is _exhaustive_. OPENSTEP Enterprise used
> > DPS for display at the "widget" level, not GDI calls.
>
> Yes, but they obviously re-designed those widgets to look like the
> native platform.

"re-designed" is a very strong term for what they did. They just set the
default interface style, which made some of the UI controls draw themselves
differently, using Windows-ish "rules". To contrast, take a look at a popup
button.