Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:13:22 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:
On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 11:08 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
I have few questions. What is the state of GNUstep on MS Windows? In what state is GUI and how it is useable? Is anyone working on that? If yes, is there any preliminary time plan?

I think enough people have ask about it that we should really try to make it work. It does work in a sense now - you can run an app on Windows and it will actually start up and display some windows. After that the problems begin. Some things that we would probably need to fix:

1. Focus problems?
2. Get the art backend working or at least improve the graphics a little.
3. Get a working pasteboard server
4. Implement drag and drop

I'd be willing to do some of it if other people could get involved.

As most of you know, I am rather frustrated about the GNUstep on MS Windows development. It is not that Windows in itself isn't bad enough, it is the people asking for this feature, but not willing to share the effort, that make it worse. My last attempt on this was this summer, when I compiled a small list of tasks and promissed to join in, if others take over some of it. No responce at all.

In the meantime there was Leigh, who provided some serious patches for the windows backend. If Adam joins in and perhaps Stefan, there may be the chance that GNUstep on Windows catches the needed momentum. For me there is no reason to develop something on a platfrom that I only start up once a month to play some games. (I know, I could try to get them running with WINE...)

For those still interested here is my old list of open tasks:
- Get focus handling working
- Other event handling
- Full font support
- Better image processing