Re: a color management issue and how do I link TOOL_NAME stuffs with App

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: a color management issue and how do I link TOOL_NAME stuffs with AppKit
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:11:23 -0800 (PST)

--- Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2003, Adam Fedor wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 05:36, Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:
> > > Color management:
> > > Where should I put color profile in the file system? On OSX it uses
> > >
> > > /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/
> > >
> > > Since I'm working on Maliwan and Blu Tulip (http://maliwan.sf.net)
> > > and some parts of it could be added for color management system
> > > which I was thinking of trying to add to GNUstep's color system in
> > > future so it would be nice if there's a standard directory for keeping
> > > icc colour profiles. May be somone want to discuss about
> > > color management API for GNUstep. You are always welcome
> > > at #gnustep
> > >

> > Well that's cool!  I had tried looking around for a color management
> > library a while ago, but couldn't find anything that had the right
> > license or was written in a decent language (c++, ugh!).
> >
> > I think ColorSync/Profiles would be OK, but I'm not sure why Apple has
> > so many separate directories devoted to similar things (Colors,
> > ColorPickers already exist as well). It might be nice to consolidate
> > everything under the Colors directory and have subdirectories under
> > that.
> At the risk of getting burned to a crisp for saying this, why break a
> standard and create another, completely unused and completely proprietory
> standard when one already exists. Can't we live with a somewhat poopy
> directory structure?
>
> Alex Perez

No disagreement here.  We can and we shall live with it.   Also, whether things
need to be grouped together because the are "similar" is a matter of opinion.

I, personally, don't see any reason to put colors and colorpickers into one
common directory (even if they do live in subdirs of that directory).  Although
they are related (one defines colors and the other allows the user to pick
them) they are not the same thing and it would be confusing to put them
together.

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---