Re: Freedesktop.org specs

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Freedesktop.org specs
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:08:03 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> >> To re-iterate, what are the plans for freedesktop.org standards adoption?
> >> We don't live in a vacuum, and frankly I'd really love to see GNUstep and
> >> any WM's written for GNUstep play nice with other apps and such.
> >>
> Plans, there a few, but will there be time? What about not asking for my
> or anybody elses plans but making your own and working on them? Isnt
> this a free software project?

The reason for asking what others' plans are is so I can find people who
have an interest in possibly implementing some of the freedesktop.org
standards and not duplicate effort. I want to know SPECIFICALLY what
people have planned so I can help out if possible. I understand time is in
short supply, and this isn't about holding you to whatever you may say you
have plans about. It's about finding people to work hand in hand with.

> > Perhaps we should put up a Buzzwords wiki page so we can record which
> > buzzwords we conform to. Perhaps we could even get Freedesktop to
> > include some of our ideas into a standard.
>
> The later is perhaps the more important thing. If we could persuade them
> to give some more meaning to the window level they already have defined
> GNUstep applications would be able to interact better with the window
> managers following these standards.
Agreed!