Re: Creating jpegs in a separate Thread

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Creating jpegs in a separate Thread
Date: 18 Nov 2003 20:51:35 -0700

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 18:17, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
> Adam Fedor wrote:
> > Well, currently the current GSDisplayServer is stored on a per-thread
> > basis, which is probably a bug.
>
> This is no bug. GSDisplayServer, like the rest of the backend (and most
> of -gui) is explicitly not thread safe, so if you want to use it from
> two threads, you need two separate instances.

Well GSDisplayServer is not documented like that, so it is at least
inconsistant. For instance, you can still access the server in a
different thread by just using a different mechanism to get the server
(GSServerForWindow, etc). If we want to actively discourage this, we
need to change this - otherwise we should allow it always and just
document that it is discouraged.

> The bug is that image loading touches these parts at all. Yet another
> issue caused by using wraster to load images, and one that would be
> fixed by fixing this to use lib{jpeg,png,...} directly. I thought we had
> a task for this, but I can't see it now. Anyway, it's fairly
> straightforward work, and it'd fix many issues; patches are very
> welcome. :)

Yes, that's the other problem. I was working on it, but it's something
like 6th or 7th on my list, so it would be nice to get some
contributions...