Re: newbie looking for books on GNUstep/Cocoa

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: Re: newbie looking for books on GNUstep/Cocoa
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:14:01 -0600

On Nov 5, 2003, at 12:24 PM, Ralph Moeritz wrote:
Does anyone know of any books on Cocoa that target programmers
already proficient in ObjC? I would hate to buy a 400 page book, only to
find that the first 200 pages or so are useless to me.

What would be the potential market size of such a book? Maybe a dozen people?

Cocoa books typically don't spend 200 pages introducing Objective-C. The best introductory book is "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass and the best intermediate/advanced book is "Cocoa Programming" by Scott Anguish, Eric Buck, and Don Yacktman.

How much of the information
covered is Cocoa specific (ie. not relevant to GNUstep)?

Cocoa has a lot more features than GNUstep does right now. That doesn't mean that information about those features is useless if you're trying to get into GNUstep development.

Also, are there any plans to integrate Gorm & Renaissance ala
Glade & libGlade? I would hate to have to choose...

How would that work? OpenStep has a very different paradigm for communicating between view (human interface) objects and the controller objects that manage them than most other frameworks. I think you'll have a better understanding of how the above could fit together (and how they wouldn't) after getting your hands dirty with Cocoa or GNUstep.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Hanson, bDistributed.com, Inc.  |  Email: cmh@bDistributed.com
Outsourcing Vendor Evaluation         |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955