Re: The Poll ends! (Was: Are we too serious these days?)

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: The Poll ends! (Was: Are we too serious these days?)
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:22:56 +0100

on 11/5/03 6:24 PM, M. Grabert at xam@cs.ucc.ie wrote:

> I'd go for 'Ora' the Orca, since
>
> 1. it rhymes
> 2. it's short, ie. it's easy to remember, to write and to speak
> 3. means "dew" or "coast" in latin (fits a whale)
> 4. "Ora" is also another name of the Komodo dragon (my favourite mascot)

but it means also "hour" in latin and italian

it means "now" in italian.

I don't like it
also, it is too short, it is not euphonic

But I like the idea of drawing the name from latin. I want a full, well
sounding word. Possibly male though, giving it a female name associates bad
to "GNUstep" I think. Of course the word GNUstep has no gender, but I would
think it as a "thing" as "neutral", so in tongues having only male/female
likle italian it translates to masculine generally.

-Ric