Maximal button ?

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Maximal button ?
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 05:27:24 +0100

Yen-Ju Chen writes:
> Hi,
>
>   There is no maximal button on GNUstep/WindowMaker.
>   Any reason for that besides there is none in NextStep/OpenStep ?
>   MacOS X has one.
>   Is that worthy to have one ?
>
>   Yen-Ju

No, it's not worthy to have one.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, screens displayed as little as 512 x
342 pixels. In these condition, it  was quite useful to be able to use
the whole screen surface for one window.

But  nowadays, when you  pay as  little as  $120 for  a screen  and as
little as $40 for a video-card,  you get more than 1280 x 1024 pixels,
and that's not to waste them on one single window.

That  said,  the  ONLY  case  when  I  use  the  maximize  feature  in
WindowMaker, is when I need  to handle a buggy application, to recover
the  grow-bar and  resize  the  window to  a  modest size.   Strangely
enough, on NeXTSTEP and OPENSTEP, there was no buggy applications: all
window  size were  righfully limited  to the  screen height,  and most
often, to the screen width too.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/