Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.6.1

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.6.1
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:36:19 -0800 (PST)

MJ et. al:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> On 2003-10-28 17:06:51 +0000 Martin Brecher
> <martin@mb-itconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> > On NeXT -- where quitting the Workspace means logging out --, you also
> > get a confirm dialogue; and I expect GWorkspace to behave similar.
Yes, under OPENSTEP, Workspace was much more finder-like in this
regard...quitting it also meant quitting the session. I think this should
probably also be the case in situations where quitting GWorkspace means
that your session also goes away, such as if GWorkspace were tightly
integrated in a GNUstep-based Desktop Environment (Backbone). However, see
below...

> Is it intended that GWorkspace will become/grow a session manager? If
> so, Quit would definitely lose work.
>
> > In the end, a preference option would probably suit all our needs :-)
>
> ...apart from my need not to configure preferences on every machine
> that I use. Let's figure out what's "best".
This isn't very constructive, now, is it? I think I see a solution that
would probably work for everyone. Since the "Are you sure" quit message is
a deviation of expected application behavior in this case, I suggest that
we make the *default* be "quit with no warning dialogue box," and have a
defaults entry which can be set if you wish to explicitly request this
behavior. Personally, I will want to enable this default, because as
Martin says, it's very easy to close the app when all you mean to do is
Minimize it. Since I suspect there are fewer people who want this new
behavior, and also since it is not 'default' expected behaviour, as you
don't lose and work, per se, when you close GWorkspace, I hereby suggest
we restore the default behavior to "Quit with no message" and implement
the new functionality with a simple default. This would make me (and I
hope Martin) happy.

Alex Perez
aperez@student.santarosa.edu