Re: Roadmap: and now the positive side

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Roadmap: and now the positive side
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:42:00 +0100 (BST)

The main problem in GNUstep usually/often is an incarnation of the
never-ending dycotomy -

 * we're building a system better than the others
 * we're building a portable, compatible system

'better than the others' usually imply 'different'.  'different' implies
'incompatible'.  So the two objectives are somewhat contrasting.

'Difficult' doesn't mean impossible, also because there are so many
nuances (how much/in which way better ?  how much/in which way compatible
?).

GNU for example made it (both 'better', and 'compatible'), in the field of
unix systems.  It was helped by unix standards.  Standards do help - and
that is why the OpenStep standard (now old and obsolete in parts) remains
important for GNUstep.