Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:17:42 -0600

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 08:09 PM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

Well, I know I'm going to get bashed once again for this mail, but I
just have to ask....

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:41:26 -0600
Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:
[...]
I don't much care which way it goes.  I've been working on GNUstep for
over 10 years now, and I just keep going for the fun of it, not
because I have any aspirations that it will become some wildly
popular, unbeatable project. My one hope is that it will be useful
before it becomes obsolete :-)
[...]

Would you care to elaborate that?

I mean, you are the "project leader" of GNUstep and YOU DON'T CARE and
do not have any aspirations, but just hope it won't become obsolete?

My point was that I don't have any illusions that GNUstep will be some sort of world dominating project. It's true that I'm not much a leader-type, but if anything I "lead" by consensus rather than fiat. We have, to be charitable, perhaps 10 active developers for a project that at least has aspirations to be something along the lines of Gnome or KDE (I mean the size of the project, not the actual goals). Clearly that's not going to happen at our current pace. My hope then is that we accomplish enough that GNUstep becomes useful to at least a small community of people willing to support it. My constraint then, of course, is that I certainly can't afford to alienate any active developers, and I'd like to please as many highly interested people as possible in hopes they will contribute as well. That's why I asked the original question.

From my POV, the discussion has been very valuable (despite all appearances) and I hope to refine the suggestions into some goals and ideas for future management. Of course about all I can do is make some suggestions to people. Most developers don't want to think about overall goals, they just want to work on what is important to them.

P.S. Not to you, but to other posters...I'd be more than happy to let someone, who is willing and able, take over GNUstep "leadership". I think that it would be quite a challenge to find someone dumb enough to take up the position :-)