Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:22:05 +0200

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 11:42 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Rennaissance is great, but doesn't make the difference. Unfortunately.

Maybe it would if we had a gui editor for it...

Well, this is absolutely a non-issue. This was demonstrated by Windows, GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, ... Having a visual editor does help your for VisualBasic-type of programmers. "Real programmers" ;-), can (and usually want to!) write UI code in text form. The easier that is, the better. IMHO XUL is *very* good here, Renaissance is a first step towards that.

Nicola wants to produce a gui editor for renaissance ... I think it would be really nice if Gregory and he could get together to leverage all the work on Gorm to support Renaissance as a backend file format for Gorm, eventually replacing the current format so that files would be portable.

That would be very nice.

Of all the applications that I can see which might get us real notice within the Apple developer community, a superior replacement for InterfaceBuilder, which would run on MacOS, GNU/Linux, BSD etc *and* produce stored GUI information in a format portable between all these systems seems the best bet.

Well, actually I agree with this. Something which is easily extensible. Like Eclipse.

But on the other side, this is hardly a goal for the GNUstep project? Its just one application and framework project, lets call it Renaissance.[app|framework] ;-)
The GNUstep project IMHO should provide the base technology for porting.

regards,
  Helge
--
Reich wird man nicht durch das, was man verdient.
Reich wird man durch das,               was man nicht ausgibt.