Re: StepBox v1 - Yet another GNUstep window manager

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: StepBox v1 - Yet another GNUstep window manager
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:09:16 -0400

From: "Chris B. Vetter" <chrisv@web4inc.com>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:42:51 -0700

 [snip]

So, yes, there needs to be an agreement, but no, there do not need to be
new specifications.

 That's what I mean. Just an agreement.

>   I plan to make StepBox use as many GNUstep classes as possible,
>   such as NSColor, NSFont, NSStringDrawing, NSBezierPath, etc.

Huh? You're planning of using AppKit?

 Yes, if it is possible, but I'm really not sure.

 [snip]

As far as I can tell, GNUstep-based applications handle window order on
their own, that is, the back-end does.
So you only have to worry about legacy windows (ie. when they pop up
"subwindows" somewhere) but usually (and IMHO) you can just ignore it
because you do not have to worry about disappearing menus here ;-)
Which means, all you have to make sure is that your WM keeps track of
the association between the GNUstep- application and its menu(s).

Could you kindly point out which source code (file name) in GNUstep gui and back
 are responsible for the menu and the (unused) atom ?
 It will take me a while to look into that in GNUstep source code
 and you already have a pretty good idea.
 Since WindowMaker can make it, I bet it won't be hard or require hacks.

 Fix the menu is my first priority now.
 (GWorkspace background is the second one,
  but I have less clue where it goes wrong.).

 Thanx a lot

 Yen-Ju

--
Chris