Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality contr

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Re: GNUstep roadmap (was Re: [Suggestion] GNUstep-test for quality control)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:15:15 +0200

Hi,

sorry for barging in... I think that Chad is going exactly the right direction
with SimplyGNUstep. IMHO, there are lots of good Linux/BSD/whatever
distributions around; no need to build yet another one.

GNUstep is a Software System; a set of libraries that completely abstracts away
the operating system, and apps built on top of that. It can be (theoretically)
built for almost any OS out there, just as Linux can be (theoretically) built
for almost any hardware out there.

Therefore I think that there should be a GNUstep distribution, distributing
GNUstep as if it were an operating system and packaging precompiled binaries of
GNUstep libraries and a number of core apps. This could be built/made
downloadable for a number of different platforms, and form one big
tgz/whatever. There isn't even the need to make rpms, debs or any other of
those crocks, because GNUstep lives completely in its own directory and needs
relatively little else. Creating something like that should even be relatively
easy, at least for a small number of well-known platforms.

That's what I think. What about you?

Regards,
Björn